Robert Friedman gives his informative speech on the Pirate Blackbeard.
Photos courtesy of the Plattsmouth Journal.
We would like congratulate Ben Severson and Jake Parson for placing 1st in Duet Acting at the Class B State Speech Tournament. Congratulations are also due to Robert Friedman who took 3rd place in Informative Speaking. The Plattsmouth team took 7th place over all.
Mac Stine (Left) and Jesse Kosalka (right) received 1st and 2nd place respectively at the Public Library’s Gaming Tournament
Tyler Widman (left) Jared Sweet (right) play Guitar Hero at the gaming Council’s Pizza Night
Plattsmouth and Conestoga schools are sending a total of thirteen
teams to the State Competition at Kearney, NE on April 5, 2008. There
were eight teams from Plattsmouth that are advancing to the State
competition. Conestoga is sending five teams to the state competition
as well. There were a total of 52 middle school teams that competed at
the Plattsmouth Middle School on March 15, 2008. Congratulations to
all the competitors and good luck in Kearney!
The Parmele House Bed and Breakfast was recognized as a smoke-free business by the Tobacco Free Cass County coalition on February 4, 2008.
The annual Plattsmouth Kiwanis/Chamber of Commerce Easter Egg Hunt was a big success again this year despite the chilly weather. Scores of children and chaperones were on hand for the mad scramble to grab the eggs and meet the Easter Bunny. As always, the local businesses were very generous to provide prizes for the specially marked “eggs” and to staff the event.
Congratulations to Mark Tincher for being the latest inductee into the Plattsmouth High School Hall of Fame. Mr. Tincher was selected for being a successful businessman and his generosity in supporting the community and local schools. Mr. Tincher will be honored at the annual PHS Alumni Banquet, May 24, 2008 at the high school.
The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #20 would like to announce the lodges first “Golf Scramble” May 9th at Bay Hills Golf Course. The entry fee is $200 per team. Contact Deputy Doug Durban at 297-0535 for more information.
The Plattsmouth Early Childhood Center located at 902 Main Street is in the process of taking applications for the upcoming preschool year. They have a variety of programs available in our center for young children in Plattsmouth. Call the office at 296-5250 to request and application from to be mailed or stop by the center to pick one up. We will be happy to show you the facilities and the options available. Apply now while openings exist.
Plattsmouth Public Library will be holding their popular Soup Luncheon April 10th at 11:00 am – 1:00 pm. Cost is $5, a selection of homemade soups and desserts will be available, and takeouts are welcome. Call and ahead @ 296-4154 and we will have your order ready!
An Xbox360 Tournament will be held at the Plattsmouth Public Library on Saturday May 17, 2008. The games featured include: Halo 3, Guitar Hero III, Call of Duty 3, Crimson Skies and many more. The tournament will start at 10:00 a.m. and be completed when the winner is crowned. The cost is only five dollars, which includes lunch. Pre-registration is encouraged but not required, so sign up today!
The Plattsmouth Community Center would like to announce the following program for children ages 3-5:
- Boogie Woogie: this class is to help your toddler develop motor skills, rhythm, song and beginning social skills. There is also gym activities involved. Class meets Tuesdays & Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-11:30 am for seven weeks.
- Fitness fun: Children will be playing in the gym working on motor skills. The children will play age appropriate games and learn to play with others. The class will meet Tuesdays & Thursdays 11 a.m.-12 p.m. for seven weeks.
- Play-N-Wave: Children must be potty trained for this class. Half the class is spent in the gym and the other half is spent in the water. This class will meet M/W/F 9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m. for seven weeks
And also the following personal training packages will be offered (each class will be limited to five participants):
- Group Personal Training Weights: This group will meet in Mondays and Wednesday at 9:15 am in the Wellness Area. You will work with a personal trainer to set up a weight training routine that will give you fast results. This program lasts for seven weeks.
- Group Personal Training Cardio: This group will meet Mondays and Wednesday at 10:10 am. This seven week class will improve and maintain your cardiovascular health. This specialty class is great if you are training for a long distance event or if you are just getting started.
- Group Personal Training Core: This group will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:15 a.m. The focus of this group is to help strengthen and develop your abs, back and gluts. This class will not be limited to mat exercise and lasts for seven weeks.
- Body Evaluation: This program will meet Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 10:10 a.m. for a combination weight training and cardio program and on Fridays you will meet with a nutritionist. This class is taught for seven weeks.
For more information and pricing call Becky at 402-306-9629
USDA Rural Development Representative Judy James will be at the Plattsmouth Public Library from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm every Thursday as part of the 502 Direct Home Loan Program. The purpose of the program is to provide low income people the opportunity to own adequate, modest, decent, safe and sanitary homes in rural areas. The loans are to acquire build rehabilitate, improve or relocate dwellings and provide adequate water and waste disposal systems. Call Judy at 402-423-9683 Ext. 4 for more information or to setup and appointment.
The Plattsmouth Library Book Club will meet April 5th at 10:00 am. They will be discussing the book 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. Plan for two hours are we will be watching the movie before we discuss the book.
March 27th the Plattsmouth Community Center is hosting the second of the Extension Senior Series sponsored by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension. This month’s topic will be Brain-Healthy Life Choices. The Program will start at 12:30 pm and pre-registration is not required. For more information please call Mary Ann Holland at 402-267-2205.
The Plattsmouth Chamber of Commerce is selling Chamber Bucks at the Chamber office. Chamber Bucks can be used just like legal tender in the city of Plattsmouth, come in $5 increments, and make great birthday, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gifts. Contact the Chamber at 402-296-6021 for more information.